Saturday, April 28, 2012

Teach Your Kids How to Approach an Unfamiliar Dog

So I wanted to take my dog, Annie, out for a walk the other day. I live in an apartment building where there are many residents who have children. I took the side exit out of the building and walked past a couple of boys, no more than 10 years old, playing with big sticks. One of the boys, without saying a word or asking me if he could pet the dog, all of a sudden ran up on Annie with one hand holding a large stick and his other hand going up over her head to pet her....

A little background information on my dog:



Annie is an Australian Shepherd and Border Collie mix that was spotted running through traffic on a very busy road during rush hour. I was pulling into a store parking lot after work as this was going on and saw a group of people trying to herd her away from the traffic and closer to the building. This frightened little girl made sure no one would catch her! I quickly joined in and opened all the doors to my car. Eventually, everybody managed to huddle around her, get her to hop in my car, and shut all the doors. After weeks of no luck in finding her owner, I decided to let her stay with me. My boyfriend, upon meeting her, called her "Orphan Annie," and the name has since stuck. I have only had her for a couple of months. I have gotten to know her pretty well since bringing her home, however, I know nothing of her past and can only guess.

Back to the story:

The boy surprised me by running up without warning- again, big stick in one hand and the other reaching over the top of her head to pet her.... What happened? Annie got startled, bared her teeth, snarled, and tried biting this child's hand! Reading this makes it sound longer than the nano-second time frame this action actually took place in. I yanked Annie back in fear, yelled at her with a "NO!" and "BAD DOG!" (I found out she knew these terms when I took her in), and then I turned around and yelled at this boy! I am not an angry person, I do not ever raise my voice or yell at anybody. This was my first time yelling at someone I did not know, no joke! I said "That is not how you walk up to a dog you do not know!" I had to tell him how it should be done, otherwise this boy can one day end up getting bitten! And you know what? That fault falls on the dog's owner, which is now me. He could have been badly hurt!

I am writing this because I believe it should be required to teach our children how to go about approaching a pet they do not know. I do not have any kids, but I have had animals my whole life and will make sure I teach any future children the proper ways.

I also want all the parents reading this to think about teaching this if you have not already!

Here are some tips when approaching or being confronted by a dog:

When you spot an unfamiliar dog being walked by a person, ask that person if it is okay to pet the dog. Do not attempt it if they say no or are unsure, and maybe the dog will show you if it wants to be touched.

If you spot an unfamiliar stray dog, take extra caution! This dog may be the friendliest thing in the world! Or, it may be scared and want to defend itself if it thinks you are threatening it, whether you are or not. Do not make eye contact for too long, if at all.

Never hold anything in your hands, or at least anything large in size compared to them. If this dog has been abused, then he might believe you may try to, and that puts you in danger!

NEVER EVER EVER reach your hand over the top of his head first. He may think you are going to grab him or hurt him and you may get bitten or worse! ALWAYS put your hand down low, palm up.

Do not make any quick or sudden movements and do not try to get closer to the dog. He may or may not come to you. If he does, let him smell your hand first.

Read the dog's body language. Ears back, stay back! If the dog has his tail down, if his tail is not wagging or it is in between their legs, he is alert and paying attention and may be nervous. If you hear a growl growing in his throat, get back and leave him alone.

Use a voice you would use for a baby, because that can help them understand  that you do not mean to harm them. 

You may want to crouch down while doing this, as this makes you seem smaller and less threatening.

Also, and a lot of people do not think about this, be careful and slow as you are petting him. He may not like being touched in some places. NEVER try to scratch his back or his butt, and do not touch anyplace near his back legs. Some dogs may be okay with it, but a log of dogs may not like it, especially if they do not know you! Some dogs have a thing about their ears, too. Stay at the top of the head and the back of the neck. Even if the dog is showing pure signs of friendliness, they may not trust you enough.

The key is to move as slowly, cautiously, and as fearlessly as you possibly can.

Every dog is different. Do not assume they are all the same!

These are great tips for everybody, not just children. However, if you are not sure your kids know these rules, I am hoping that after reading this you will want to talk about it with them and teach them for their own safety! I am not a professional or expert in the dog behavior field, but I have been around dogs my whole life and have learned these tips throughout! I hope I have taught someone somewhere a thing or two here today!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! I am very happy to hear that you learned from it! You are not wrong for not approaching dogs, that is the best thing to stay safe for any child or adult. I am aiming this as a tool for teaching children because as adults we can use better judgement of a dog's body language and actions than child would. Thank you for your input. :)

    ReplyDelete